Individualized Naturopathic Care for PCOS
Whether you already have a diagnosis of PCOS, or you have unexplained symptoms that are causing you to wonder if PCOS could be part of your health picture, I’m here to support you.
PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome) affects up to 10% of menstruating people. Typically, it shows up in adolescence but may or may not be identified at that time. PCOS is a syndrome, which means that there are many different causes and many different ways that it can show up in your life.
The two key features of PCOS are ovulatory dysfunction (where ovulation is infrequent or absent) and hyperandrogenism (where there are elevated levels of androgens, such as testosterone). These two features can cause a multitude of symptoms and health challenges.
How PCOS may show up in your life:
- Menstrual irregularities
- Fertility challenges
- Hirsutism – this is dark, coarse hair growth on the upper lip, chin, chest, upper or lower abdomen, upper arms, upper legs, back, or buttocks
- Treatment-resistant acne
- Head hair loss
- Polycystic ovaries (identified by a pelvic ultrasound)
- Weight challenges, such as obesity
- Insulin resistance
If you are experiencing any of the above, the first step is a thorough assessment to ensure an accurate diagnosis. If PCOS is diagnosed, we can turn our attention to treating your symptoms, adopting a preventative mindset, and most importantly, improving your quality of life.
We’ll build a plan together based on your goals and values.
Treatment goals in PCOS may include:
- Improving the regularity of ovulation
- Improving the regularity of menstruation
- Fertility support (if pursuing pregnancy)
- Best choice of contraception (if not pursuing pregnancy)
- Reduction in hirsutism, acne, and head hair loss
- Mild and sustainable weight loss
With a preventative mindset we’ll work on:
- Ensuring the health of your uterine lining
- Maintaining stable blood sugars
- Minimizing cardiovascular risk factors
- Supporting your mood
- Cultivating a harmonious relationship to food that is not based on restriction